12.23.2005

A moment of prayer in an Afghan restaurant

This afternoon I attempted to finish my Christmas shopping and I took the day off from the office, although I still had to go in for a few minutes. I had to pick up something from a co-worker. She created some special gifts for the church. I needed to drop them off to the pastor tomorrow.

Not only was I shopping for presents with the other thousands of last-minute holiday shoppers, I was running the usual errands. So, one errand on my list is to get a haircut.

I did not feel pressure of holiday stress while hunting down for the perfect gift, but I did feel the pangs of hunger for not eating any breakfast this morning.

It was already 1 pm.

Although I was less than 10 minutes from my house, I didn't want to make anything or pull out something quick at home, and I was in serious need of food and a break.

While waiting for my haircut appointment, I decided to pass the time outside the mall area. So, I perused through a couple stores.

Later, I arrived at a new Middle Eastern restaurant on the strip, one of those Kebob houses with curried and halal meats. Customers approach the counter, look up at the large menu, and give their order. As with most Kebob houses, the food is displayed in front of you.

It must have just opened up, as it didn't have a complete menu sign up for customer viewing. I later learned that the owner had a restaurant in the Georgetown area. Like other aspiring restaurant owners in that area, he couldn't afford the high rent. Therefore, he closed the watering hole there. With cheaper business rates in the Northern Virginia area, he opened this place.

I ordered the curried lamb combo, in which the waitress highly recommended. As I was enjoying my lunch, I noticed a nondescript, middle aged couple come into the restaurant. The gentleman was tall, lanky and carrying today's Washington Post and she was wearing a flimsy jacket. They walked in with facial expressions of recognition toward the manager, although I did not think they knew him. Like I said, he just opened up the restaurant.

While sitting at the table, I had my back facing the staff at the counter.

He enthusiastically greeted the staff with a "Merry Christmas."

I didn't get an opportunity to see their mannerisms, but they replied quickly and loudly, "Back to you!"

They ordered their lunches and sat at a table near the front door. When the order finally came, he carefully carried their trays to their table while she waited for him sitting in her seat. He then went to pick up napkins and condiments. He sat down and distributed their food. He ordered a combo special and she picked a salad.

Their combined actions were intentional and complimented each other. She anticipated his movements as he gave her dinnerware and napkins. I wondered how many times did this couple go through the same motions for countless number of meals.

They did not appear tired or jaded of each other. The couple looked very content.

As I quietly observed them, I thought of them as a typical Americana couple who were your average "steak and potatoes" diners.

They didn't look like the type of couple to eat out at Middle Eastern restaurants or try exotic foods as curried meats or samosas.

When she was ready, she looked up to her husband. In quiet agreement, they quietly bowed their heads and closed their eyes.

He whispered a quick prayer, and they both mouthed, "Amen."

I pondered about this couple for a few more minutes. Throughout the years, they probably continue to pray before each meal. I can just imagine that they have been faithful and consistent with their prayer life.

I finally finished my meal and dropped my tray on the shelf and garbage in the trash can near the couple's table. I wanted to watch them closely again. Not only did they look content, I detected the couple had a certain rhythm when conducting themselves.

Suddenly, I realized it was time for that haircut.

As soon I returned outside, I decided that they were not as nondescript as I first observed.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Today's verse: 2 Corinthians 3:18 (New American Standard Bible)

18But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

No comments: