3.07.2008

Life can be funny that way...

My colleague's condolence service was held on Saturday. As for these types of events, it was not really that bad. Hindu tradition dictates that the body be cremated within 24 hours, if possible. When my colleague died on a Friday afternoon. He was cremated on the following Saturday in Cleveland. He was there, waiting on a lung transplant. So, there was no viewing of the body.

I met a few of my colleagues at his house, where the rememberance event was held. I met his beautiful daughters and his son. They were in great spirits and holding very well. I was saddened to find out that his wife was not doing well. She and other women were lying down on the sofas. She was barely able to stand up when I met her. I told her that she should sit down and I whispered to her, "my apologies for your loss." I knew these words were not enough, but I felt that they had to be said.

Staff members in our organization sponsored informal donations to the American Lung Association and IPF. His eldest daughter was very touched by our donation. She nearly cried.

At his home, I noticed that shoes were lying on the floor of the garage and front pathway. Then, I saw a note asking visitors to take off their shoes when they entered the house. After I took of my shoes, I went inside and the immediate family was dressed in traditional garb. (It reminded me of spending time at relatives' homes, too.)

In their family room, a screen presentation of photos was playing against the back wall. I could see many photos of him in various times during his life from wedding photos to recent pictures. I was tickled to see him dressed in various styles from Eastern to Western, bell bottoms to power suits.

It made me appreciate the time to know him as a fellow colleague and a wonderful friend. Every so often, he would enquire, "Traveler, when are you going to settle down?" or "When are you going to buy a house?" When he approached me with questions like these, I would be reminded of distant relatives asking the same thing during various family functions.

Before we left the service, his family made samosas for us to bring to work on the following Monday. On Mondays, he would share food that his wife made. I was surprised by their generosity. Also, they served a refreshing and warm Indian tea.

I was surprised to think of him as family, but I did. I had known him for over a decade. Knowing this person for that long does lend itself to relationships like this one. Life is funny that way...

For the upcoming month, his youngest daughter will be getting married. So, life goes on.

No comments: