4.12.2008

It's all about the art, man!

Artomatic 2008 will start shortly next month. If you don't know about this art venue, it is a month-long multimedia arts event that draws together visual artists, musicians and performers and brings their work to the local area without charge.

In other words, Artomatic provides a forum for the Washington DC area's artists to convene, perform and exhibit, strengthening the visibility, cohesion, and marketplace of Washington's arts community, with minimal expenses to the artists as well.

Last year, I attended this free event on a weekend with my friend C. She and I loved it so much to see these art exhibits that we were excited about attending the next annual Artomatic event. She asked if I would take part next year. My reply, "I would love to do that", thinking that it would not happen.

Well, a year later, I have registered as a 2-D artist and and selected my wall space where I can show off some photography images. Not until I arrived to the building orientation did I realize that there was a competition for the larger spaces. I was fortunate to catch the last exterior 8 x 12 wall partition on the 11th floor. The interior wall spaces were slightly smaller.

Now I struggle what to do with the space.

* Which photos to display (color, black and white, or abstract/minimal)?
* What kind of theme to tie in (social documentary, street photography, or architectural)?
* How to display the pieces (colored versus neutral backgrounds, whether to include furniture and/or carpet)?
* Etc., etc...

Next week starts the installation of my exhibit space. After signing up for Artomatic and picking a specified space, I just realized how much more time and effort goes to art exhibitions.

I am thankful to God for exposure to exhibit marketing and promotions at the workplace. That skill has helped me with this "art space" evaluation and preparation.

Also, I want to admit that I got such a rush after I chose my space. Yeah, I am excited.

And, I have not been excited in a very long time.

No comments: